In order to ensure the process of purchasing, building or remodeling your home is an enjoyable experience and that it is well constructed, it is important that you take an active role from the beginning. To help achieve satisfaction and avoid misunderstandings, home buyers and home owners who are either building or remodeling need to take steps so there will be no unpleasant surprises. There are several things you can and should do to ensure your specific project meets all of your expectations.
- The importance of choosing the right builder or remodeler cannot be underestimated. When you look for a builder or remodeler, find someone with whom you can communicate and develop a positive working relationship.
- Make sure your builder or remodeler is licensed, bonded and insured. Also ask for references from previous clients.
- Ask the builder or remodeler for a copy of their warranty and take time to review it before you begin.
- Ensure that your builder or remodeler has a good contract that covers all the issues of payment, performance, warranty schedule and dispute resolution.
- Don’t necessarily take the lowest bid. A builder or remodeler who is the right fit for your project will usually give you the best value – without cutting corners.
- Meet with your builder or remodeler regularly during the course of construction to resolve any problems that come up during the course of the work (e.g., change orders, cost overruns, modifications in design, changes in specified materials).